In deploying a comprehensive transit ITS program, develop strategies and requirements for planning, procurement, implementation, and ongoing operations.
Washoe County’s experience implementing a comprehensive transit ITS program.
- Select an agency project manager with the right skill set.
- Identify champions to represent each user group in the agency.
- Know the limitations of your agency’s labor contracts.
- Conduct a review of your existing technologies.
- Designate the agency project manager as a single point of contact for the contractor.
- Demand consistent support from the contractor.
- Review your requirements one last time before requesting proposals.
- Independently procure computer and network hardware when feasible.
- Procure the right-sized systems.
- Plan for operations and maintenance costs.
- Require the contractor to remain on-site after installation.
- Prepare agency staff for the implementation process.
- Involve maintenance and information technology (IT) staff in the installation process.
- Seek a contractor who supports an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) process for equipping new vehicles.
- Maintain an asset management list that details new IT inventory.
- Implementation can be simplified by procuring all new hardware and software.
- Do not expect to see staff reductions after ITS technology implementation.
- Have or obtain the ability to customize reports.
- Have an independent dialog with other agencies that use same contractor.
- Encourage creative uses of transit ITS.
- Allow supervisors to use the automatic vehicle location (AVL) system.
- Continue learning and training.
- Ensure your system’s critical components can be maintained locally.
- Reduce overall vehicular emissions from the increased use of transit and, as a result, potentially lesser use of cars.
Author: Tina Wu, Matt Weatherford, Ancila Kaiparambil, Linna Zhang
Published By: Federal Transit Administration U.S. Department of Transportation
Source Date: May 2010
Other Reference Number: FTA Report FTA- NV-26-7005-2010.1URL: http://www.fta.dot.gov/documents/RTC_ITS_Eval_Study_section508.pdf
Average User Rating
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Transit Management > Operations & Fleet Management > Automatic Vehicle Location / Computer-Aided Dispatch
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Transit Management > Operations & Fleet Management > Planning
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Transit Management > Transportation Demand Management > Ride Sharing/Matching
automated vehicle location, computer aided dispatch, automatic vehicle locator, AVL, CAD, AVL/CAD