Approximately 80 percent of the truck drivers surveyed indicated that collision warning systems made them more vigilant, helped them maintain a safer following distance, and increased their reaction time and awareness.
- CWS installed on fleet vehicles (tractors) used in-cab visual displays and audible alarms to notify drivers to take corrective action if forward radar sensors detected a potential crash.
- ACC maintained set headways between tractors and lead vehicles, and was designed to operate as a conventional cruise control system if no lead vehicle was present.
- AdvBS installed on fleet vehicles used air disc brakes and an electronically controlled braking system to enhance braking performance and reduce stopping distances.
- ACC + AdvBS
- CWS + ACC + AdvBS (bundled system)
Telephone interviews were conducted with 200 drivers in two phases to assess their perceptions and acceptance of system performance. Phase-1 (22 – 27 October 2001) included 117 drivers and focused on driver expectations. Phase-2 (29 March – 6 April 2004) included 87 drivers and focused on driver experiences.
- Approximately 80 percent of drivers indicated that CWS helped them reduce accident risk because it made them more vigilant, helped them maintain a safer following distance, and increased their reaction time and awareness.
- Approximately 60 percent indicated that the technology changed their driving habits.
- Approximately half of the drivers interviewed indicated that the ACC system reduced accident risk by helping to maintain safer distances.
- Eighteen (18) percent, however, indicated the technology increased risk due to reduced attentiveness and driver control.
- Approximately 75 percent of drivers believed that AdvBS improved driving safety due to improved braking ability.
Published By: U.S. DOT Federal Highway Administration
Source Date: 1/5/2007
EDL Number: 14352
Other Reference Number: FHWA-JPO-07-016URL: http://ntl.bts.gov/lib//jpodocs/repts_te//14352_files/14352.pdf
Average User Rating
Benefit of the Month for March, 2011 !
intelligent cruise control, ICC, ACC, Intelligent Speed Adaptation, ISA