Illinois DOT implements work zone ITS on the I-64 Add-lane Construction project at a cost of $435,000.
The construction project covers 7.7 miles along I-64 about eight miles east of East St. Louis. The project includes the addition of a lane in each direction for a total of six lanes, structure, highway lighting, and signal improvements when completed. Scheduled for completion in July 2007, the construction project began in February 2005. Total construction contract award amount is $56 million.
Work zone ITS was selected for this project for a number of reasons:
- High vehicular volume, recurring PM traffic congestion, grade change, and limited access
- Increased traffic during the holiday season
- High-profile project
- Parallel alternate routes
- Twelve (12) variable message signs (VMS) located within the work zones as well as in advance of the work zone so travelers can determine whether or not to take alternate routes.
- Total of 10 sensors (side-fire radar devices which detect traffic in each direction) along I-64 located within the work zone as well as on each end (exit/entrance) of the work zone area. These sensors are mounted on portable trailers and measure speed, volume, and occupancy lane-by-lane.
The TMS will be deployed for 30 months at a cost of $14,500 per calendar month, which equates to $435,000. The total cost of the TMS is less than 1 percent of the total construction cost. The TMS was leased as part of the overall construction contract.
Author: Brian Sneed, Illinois DOT
Correspondence with Brian Sneed, ITS Engineer, Illinois DOT, on 22 June 2007.
Source Date: 12 September 2005URL: http://cms.transportation.org/sites/ssom/docs/I64AddLane_9-9-05_WorkshopPresentation.pdf
Average User Rating
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Roadway Operations & Maintenance > Work Zone Management > Temporary Traffic Management
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Roadway Operations & Maintenance > Work Zone Management > Temporary Incident Management
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Roadway Operations & Maintenance > Information Dissemination > Dynamic Message Signs
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Roadway Operations & Maintenance > Information Dissemination > Internet/Wireless/Phone
smart work zone systems, smart work zone, smart work zones, Smart work zones, workzone, WZ, Dynamic Message Signs, CMS, VMS, Changeable Message Signs, Variable Message Signs, construction warning signs, Portable Dynamic Message Signs, portable CMS, portable VMS, portable Changeable Message Signs, portable Variable Message Signs, Temporary Dynamic Message Signs, Temporary CMS, Temporary VMS, Temporary Changeable Message Signs, Temporary Variable Message Signs