The Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) smart parking system field test increased BART trips and resulted in an average of 9.7 fewer vehicle miles traveled and decreased the average commute time by 2.6 minutes.
Experience of BART's Smart Parking Pilot test.
The project included in-ground sensors in the BART parking lot to determine available parking spaces, two changeable message signs (CMSs) located on the highway that display dynamically updated parking availability information for motorists, and a computer reservation system accessible via the Internet and a telephone Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system. Researchers conducted the analysis with expert interviews, internet surveys, focus groups, and parking reservation data to evaluate:
- the effectiveness of an advanced smart parking system in managing a parking resource,
- the impacts of smart parking management on transit ridership,
- the behavioral response to parking information and reservations, and
- lessons learned from the smart parking field test.
The results from a before and after Internet-based user survey showed that:
- Reduced overall vehicle miles traveled on average by 9.7 fewer miles per participant per month and decreased average commute time by 2.6 minutes.
- More than 30 percent of respondents indicated that smart parking encouraged them to use BART instead of driving alone to their typical place of work or on-site work location, and 55.9 percent stated the same for commutes to an off-site work location.
- 49 percent of respondents did not use BART to commute to work before smart parking and were encouraged to use BART more because they could drive to the station.
- Smart parking users increased BART use by 5.5 trips per month for on-site work commutes and by 4 trips per month for offsite commute.
Author: Susan Shaheen and Charlene Kemmerer
Published By: Transportation Research Board
Source Date: 1 August 2007URL: http://pubs.its.ucdavis.edu/download_pdf.php?id=1095
Average User Rating
Typical Deployment Locations
Metropolitan Areas, Statewide
smart cards, Smartcard