A series of interviews with commercial vehicle operators across the U.S. indicated that truck and motorcoach drivers are in strong agreement in favor of some ITS applications, but have mixed opinions about other applications.
- Truck and motorcoach drivers where in greatest agreement about the usefulness of CFM systems.
- Truck drivers held much less favorable opinions of ARSI than motorcoach drivers.
- Truck drivers who carried hazardous materials were very much in favor of HMIR programs.
- OBSM systems were unpopular with both truck and motorcoach drivers, many felt that the technology was too invasive and relied too much on computers.
- Both motorcoach and truck drivers held favorable opinions of CVEC. The survey found a 2:1 ratio of truckers strongly favored this service to those strongly opposing it. The similar ratio for motorcoach drivers was 3:1 in favor of the service.
- CVAP were not favored by truck drivers, with most feeling the service was an invasion of privacy by the government, and some held concerns that the system relied too heavily on computers. Motorcoach operators were very much in favor of these systems, however, feeling that the automated systems could reduce paperwork, make it easier to comply with regulations, be useful and give them an advantage over other drivers.
Driver Acceptance of Commercial Vehicle Operations (CVO) Technology in the Motor Carrier Environment
Published By: Federal Highway Administration, U.S. DOT
Source Date: 1997
Other Reference Number: Report No. FHWA-JPO-97-00 10
Average User Rating
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Commercial Vehicle Operations > Electronic Screening > Border Clearance
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Emergency Management > Hazardous Materials Management
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Commercial Vehicle Operations > Carrier Operations & Fleet Management > In-Vehicle Monitoring
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Commercial Vehicle Operations > Safety Assurance > Automated Inspection
Intelligent Transportation Systems > Commercial Vehicle Operations > Credentials Administration > Electronic Registration/Permitting